While fault tolerance is certainly one of the features of RAC,
it isn't correct to say that it is not also for scalability.

Buy a bigger box?  That works fine until you're in the biggest
box you can get, then what?  I realize that it's a small market
segment that requires that kind of hardware, but it still exists.

Sun has been testing a cluster of 15k servers with RAC, ostensibly
for scalability.  Some nodes are populated with 78 CPU's and 288
Gig of RAM.  ( yes, that is correct ).

Jared

Author: Jared Still