To: <oralux@lists.freearchive.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:15 PM
Subject: [Oralux] Knoppix-installer.

Hi Gang,

Last year Doug Smith wrote about installing to the HD.  After telling
how to become root, he wrote:

You need to pay careful attention to the partition onto which the
installer gives you the option of installing the system.  Most of the
work, the pre-install setup, the placement of the boot loader and
whatever else is needed will be done automatically for you.

Automatically?  I guess I didn't get to the "automatically," part.  I
read screens and typed yes, followed by entr for several screens.  The
last one I understood was

hda. QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30 (30.0203 GB)

Guessing HDA was what I wanted and it was the only option I went with
that.

After that I found myself looking at:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 3877.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
  (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command action
  a   toggle a bootable flag
  b   edit bsd disklabel
  c   toggle the dos compatibility flag
  d   delete a partition
  l   list known partition types
  m   print this menu
  n   add a new partition
  o   create a new empty DOS partition table
  p   print the partition table
  q   quit without saving changes
  s   create a new empty Sun disklabel
  t   change a partition's system id
  u   change display/entry units
  v   verify the partition table
  w   write table to disk and exit
  x   extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help):

I tried several of these with little responce.  I didn't try XX!  I
have no idea what I am doing here.  Could find no Man pages or info
files.  All I need is a simple install.  This is a spare machine and
has nothing on it I would want, and won't be running anything but
Oralux.  A link to some documentation would be helpful.  Thanks.

Jim