Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why major public botanical
gardens have started imposing no-photo rules? I have run across at least
three, in all areas of the country, of very large stature, that have
no-photo rules of varying degrees. One has a no "professional" photo rule of
any publicly displayed plant (with no apparent enforcement of this rule on
premises, just stated on the big rules board as you enter, go figure),
another won't let you take any photos in the back greenhouses but will in
the public areas, and the other you have to go through the public affairs
department, which I am told is very strict, about getting permission to take
any photos.

Some of the reasonings I can understand - in a very popular garden, the
number of people taking photos can impair the experience for others, but
other than that, I can't think of any other legitimate reasons.

How do these gardens handle requests from academic researchers? Are they
given a different level of access than the rest of the public? That then
leads to how is academic research quantified? A "lay" person writing a book
on orchids and needs photo illustration? Someone doing accredited
college/university level research?

Is this a symptom of the declining budgets for the nonessential public
services like Botanical Gardens? Are they now requesting licensing fees and
residuals on photographs taken of their collections? I've not taken the
issue as far as making a formal request for permission, so I don't know.

Or is this an effort to start running Botanical Gardens more like a private
enterprise, which as we all know, tend to operate on a vastly different set
of access rules and licensing of content (the plants) rules than a
traditional publicly supported garden.

Or am I just being too sensitive?

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to