Paul Johnson gave an interesting response to Eric Hunt's OGD V6 #12 query:

"is it correct to then infer that when I go to the scientific library
at the California Academy of Sciences and photocopy these articles for
my own personal use that I am "bootlegging" the magazine?"

Paul stated:

"Making photocopies at a library of pages from a book, a journal article
(even in its entirety), or any other copyrighted document generally
falls under the consideration of fair use.  Now, this applies only in
the U.S. and other countries that recognize and enforce standard
copyright laws."

and this is what I find so interesting. Last year, the USA and
Singapore signed a  Free Trade Agreement, which came into force at the
start of 2004. One of the items that the USA was very keen to include
in the FTA was that Singapore would, with immediate effect, impose and
enforce US-standards on all Intellectual Copyright issues .... see
Paul's "other countries that recognize and enforce" in the paragraph
above. And events followed exactly as Elder Brother dictated.

In the pre-FTA days, you used to be able to photocopy an article in a
journal. Not any more ... well, not legally. Nowadays copying is
restricted by the US concept of "Fair Use", and just in case anyone
should forget it, there are signs up in all the copy shops to remind
you of exactly what you are, and are not, allowed to copy. There is
even a sign sellotaped onto the cover of our Sci Dept photocopying
machine, and another on each scanner in the college library.

The simple-English version of this sign says that you may not copy
more than 10% of any single item. It then gives examples: a book, a
poem, a recipe, or even a newspaper article are all 'single items'.
(Can you imagine only having 10% of a recipe ??? ... fat lot of use
!!!). 10% of the whole item is the upper limit under the "Fair Use"
clause.

There is no exception for educational use ... Paul's "giving copies to students
as part of a class project or assignment" is expressedly forbidden by
the terms of the FTA ... it says so on the notice stuck on the top of
every copier in our school.

Nowadays, if I wished to copy a 10 page article in a journal, I would
have to make 10 different trips to the library, not just one. And I'd
be breaking the law on the second &  subsequent trips.  Of course, I
wouldn't dream of doing anything so ridiculous as this, would I ?.

What you guys seem to be saying is that US copyright laws aren't
enforced in the USA, but citizens of other countries are expected to
obey them. Is that correct   ????

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore