Such changes affect virtually everyone, whether you are involved in
import/export, a tourist or a hobby grower. There are sections from
'Personal and household effects' (§ 23.5 and § 23.15) to 'Caviar
labeling' (§ 23.71). What if there was a section that better directs us
and the agents when dealing with orchids?

I'm not a commercial importer. However I'm wondering if there is a
provison for public comment or can and should we have input to the
process that leads to revisons to the regulations?
As we returned from Taiwan this past March, I experienced a rude
awakening to the bureaucracy with regard to CITES. I had made every
effort to comply providing all of the requisite documentation. My
thought at the time was aren't these agents public servants? At any port
of entry, shouldn't the agents be equally well versed with the
regulations with regards to orchids? There was such an immense
difference in how the agents reacted to orchids when compared to my
previous experiences at other ports of entry. Rather than protect the
orchids, the actions of the agents and others ultimately destroyed the
orchids. It did not have to end that way! So I wondered who writes and
proposes the regulations? Can an importer/exporter or for that matter
any US citizen petition for changes to the regulations? Having
encountered difficulties, I'm not content in letting off some steam but
essentially leaving the status quo.  By not taking action, don't I
contribute to the problem? Somehow the intent of the intent of CITES is
being trumped by the 'enforcement' of it.
What can we (you and I, separately or together) do?
Lee

Please respond here or by email
lee at classicorchid com


_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to