Rob Matson mentioned marley floor coverings. I don't know about whatever
different versions of marley may exist, but the one instance that I've ever
encountered of something described as a "marley" floor overing seemed, in my
opinion, to give far too much horizontal friction for contra dancing.

The idea of "a sneaker dance on a concrete floor" also strikes me as a
situation with far too much horizontal friction for comfortable contra dancing.

Rob also mentioned "portable and temporary sprung dance floors". I've danced on
portable spring dance floors at several multi-day dance events. Setting up and
removing such a temporary floor (at least any of the kinds I've encountered)
seem like far too much work for a 3-hour dance.

Don Veino mentioned Bona "Traffic" finish. I've danced on floors finished with
this product and found the amount of friction to be right in the sweet spot for
contra dancing. The friction isn't so high as to keep dancers feet from sliding
at all, this stressing their knees and ankles during buzz-step swings and
under-arm twirls (and during waltzes), but it's not so low as to create ta
slipping hazard for figures that require a quick change of direction. And as
Don said, it seem to work well in a multi-use environment. One hall that used
it (no longer available for unrelated reasons) was also used for youth
basketball games, and the "Traffic" finish, which (as I said) had low enough
friction for contra dancing when participants were wearing dance shoes, also
had high enough friction for basketball when participants were wearing sneakers.

Of course having a finish that gives a not-too-sticky-but-not-too-slippery
level of (horizontal) friction doesn't address concern Jim Thaxter raised about
(vertical) give and springiness.

A couple other points about Bona "Traffic" finish.

1) Bona "Traffic" is a specific product, not to be mistake for any product that
some other manufacturer may describe as, for example, "a high-traffic floor
finish" and that might or might not have similar performance.

2) Don wrote:

> Our custodian typically damp mops to clean back to a soft shine without issue.

On a floor we use that has a Bona "Traffic" finish, we've been advised not to
damp mop with plain water but to use a particular Bona cleaning solution,
appropriately diluted with water. I don't know how much difference that really
makes, but we follow the advice, and I believe our landlord's custodian does,
too.

A final thought for Jim Thaxter: Perhaps this is just stating the obvious, but
I think it would be good if you can identify someone from within your community
who knows something about architecture/construction/carpentry (enough to
sensibly assess claims about the costs of various flooring construction
options, their susceptibility to long term effects of humidity, etc.) and who
also really, truly understands what makes a surface comfortable or
uncomfortable for contra dancing.

--Jim
Santa CLara, CA