Rob’s mention of basketball courts and arenas reminded me that my alma mater
installed a new floor in the field house a few years ago.  The requirements on
the surface are different, but the need for shock absorption for the track and
the basketball courts is very similar.  The company that did the work was
Beynon Sports.  They advertise a range of products.

On 05/27/2023 9:21 AM AKDT Robert Matson via Organizers
<organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

Hi,

>From my experience working for New York ballet and modern dance companies and
>from doing the folk dancing we talk about here, I'd offer that the key word is
>"sprung" and I'd suggest researching portable and temporary sprung dance
>floors.

See:
https://www.stagestep.com/subfloor-systems/springstep-v/

Unacceptable: wood or wood-like flooring installed directly on concrete,
without springing.  This is as hard, unforgiving, unpleasant and injurious as
concrete.

Sometimes a search for "dance floors" turns up "marley," which is floor
covering, only.  It is non-slip vinyl that makes an underlying sprung floor
safe for stage dance.
https://danceequipmentintl.com/marley-dance-floor-guide/

There are soft and hard versions of marley designed for styles of dance and
footware.  Again, marley alone doesn't make a concrete or a non-sprung floor
ok, but it can be quickly rolled out onto an "okay" residential wood beam
constructed floor for dancing.  An advantage to this route is that, for low
cost, it will protect the surface of, say, a basketball court enabling a
multi-purpose floor.

One might also research the floors for basketball courts which have the same
requirements of being wood, but soft.

As an aside, your challenge reminds me of the floors of large event arenas,
which might have to be changed from a basketball court to an ice rink to a
stadium floor, etc.

Sometimes, also, a hard floor problem can be solved with footwear.  Yours might
become a sneaker dance on a concrete floor, just as sneakers are used for
street dance (e.g., hip hop).

Sounds like an exciting project.

Best wishes,
Rob

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Robert Matson
President
Innovation Media Corp.
The Innovation Works, Inc.
Tel: (646) 233-1219 tel:(646)233-1219
Cell: (917) 626-2675 tel:(917)626-2675

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 9:28 AM Jim Thaxter via Organizers
<organizers@lists.sharedweight.net mailto:organizers@lists.sharedweight.net>
wrote:
Hey Organizers,

My home town, Columbia, MO, is building a welcome/community center for multiple
uses. Our contra group has asked them to consider something other than smooth
concrete for the floor.

The City parks and rec people were initially resistant, but since a lot of the
funding for the building will be coming directly from the community, they seem
to be softening their stance, but not to the point of approving a hardwood
floor. So the architect has done some research on alternative flooring options
that might be comfortable and safe to dance on, but also have many of the
conveniences of concrete floor for multiple uses and maintenance.

Two products are listed in the attachments below. Unfortunately, the only known
installations are 300-450 miles from us in Indiana and Kansas.

Have any of you out there in dance land run across either of these kinds of
floorings, or maybe know of other alternatives to hardwood that would meet low
maintenance requirements of the City?

Jim Thaxter
Columbia, MO