Have you considered hosting a dance the day after your local dance?
Or does that break pattern too much? Or facility isn't available?
Here in N. GA we're trying to have ad hoc dances to accommodate the
odd touring band situation. We have 3 small ad hoc dance venues
to pick up these situations. That hasn't settled out entirely:
 - bands don't know they have the option
 - dancers aren't used to the ad hoc so while we do get dancers the path to these venues is not well troden  - the established dances (weekly, monthly, ...) don't always initiate the option to the touring bands they book In other words, the ecosystem isn't established yet and who knows whether it ever will be.

I do acknowledge that at Sautee where they're averaging some 160 to 220 dancers on a Sat. night (once a month) when they hosted their first weekend dance those dancers didn't come out en masse for the Friday dance. I'm assuming the dancers are used to "Saturday" so "Friday" was out of pattern.

Upcoming example is Hot Coffee Breakdown playing Atlanta Friday and Sautee Saturday at the end of this month. My wife knows Tom and initiated their playing at Chez Marie in Dahlonega on Sunday.  Chez Marie is a new small venue designed to pick up these ad hoc dances w/ good
touring bands.

... just tossing out options to chew on ...

Heitzso

Hey all,

I have a bit of a quandary. I just found out two incredible contra musicians will be in my area. They will be here the day after our local dance. I have a small quasi local band booked already.

Here is the question - is it ethical to ask booked band to change their date (they play a lot in our dance) IF visiting musicians are available & willing?

Thanks in advance,
Mary (Buffalo)