Hi All,
The attached document was most recently amended in 2019, before the (recent)
name change from Chattahoochee Contra Dancers to the Atlanta Contra Dance.

This procedure is normally reviewed and, as needed, updated on a yearly basis
by the Steering Committee and is now overdue for its first post-pandemic
review. (Note to self – add this as an agenda item for next Steering Committee
meeting).

The original version of the procedure was first drafted after we had been
threatened with legal action by a creeper that we banned. (Unfortunately for
the creeper, the lawyer he selected to represent him was also a dancer and,
once we took him aside and revealed the full story, withdrew his agreement to
represent the creeper in a suit against us, advised the creeper not to pursue
additional action, and advised our Steering Committee to develop a formal
procedure for disciplinary action/banning and put it in writing, which we
promptly did).

To date we have only needed to use the procedure outlined here to “permanently”
ban one dancer.  Permanently is in quotes because, after being banned, that
dancer proactively went to extraordinary measures (including attending anger
management classes and getting therapy) to demonstrate a sincere desire to
rehabilitate himself.  As a result, we eventually allowed him to begin
attending our dance again and now realize that the next iteration of the
procedure needs to include a process for, and conditions under which we would,
re-visit permanent bans.

-Kimbi Hagen
Atlanta Contra Dance