On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 11:18 AM Carol Martinson via Origami <
origami@lists.digitalorigami.com> wrote:

> If I am interpreting what he is trying to say correctly, people need the
> specific words and actions named so they know what is and is not allowed.
> Acceptable behaviors vary widely from culture to culture so they may need
> specific actions listed to know what is expected.

I believe you misunderstood what I was trying to say or I am
misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

I think, at least for an event CoC, there is a balance that can be struck
between the very vague and open to interpretation "don't be a jerk" and the
overly specific enumeration of all words and actions that qualify as
harassment.

I specifically referenced the OUSA CoC because it does enumerate several
types of discrimination that are specifically prohibited which gives the
person reading it an understanding of what is not acceptable.  I don't
think specific words or actions need to be spelled out, but that it is
useful to know what areas are covered by the policy.

So, maybe we can clarify this point.  From the OUSA CoC, do you consider
the following to be overly specific?

* offensive communication related to gender, sexual orientation,
disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, and age.
* use of sexist, racist, ableist, or any other discriminatory or
exclusionary language.

thanks,
malachi