If you followed some of the other posts from yesterday, Anne posted a link to a
very interesting page on common mistakes in CoC writing, including this
specific issue:  That an enumerated list of “don’ts” has legal issues.  Which
was one of my essential objections.  That page also has a good example CoC that
I think is great.

If you missed her email – here is the link
https://www.codemag.com/article/1601021/Legal-Notes-Code-of-Conduct  It is
worth reading.  It is short but bakes very clear and strong arguments about a
better CoC.

>From the intro para of that page:
“ I believe codes of conduct for any event, whether it’s a software conference,
convention, or sporting event, etc., is a good idea. At the same time, I don’t
believe an event’s worthwhileness turns on the presence or absence of a code of
conduct. If you’re going to implement a code of conduct, it needs to be
reasonable, clear in its intent, and, above all, enforceable. In addition,
before you decide to implement a code of conduct, you should be clear about the
potential liability that can be incurred as a result of implementing such a
code. “

In the section about enumerated lists:

“First, there is a pattern of having enumerated lists to define entities. In
the first paragraph, it was the list of persons covered. In this paragraph,
it’s a list of protected traits. Whenever there are lists such as these, they
become words of limitation, meaning that if something is not contained in the
list and there was an opportunity to have a more inclusive list, there’s a
strong argument that the omitted term was not meant to be covered.”

He also speaks to the “actions”.  Stating that some action WILL be taken is an
issue, as not all reports should result in any action, much less drastic
action.  He suggests promising investigation, wit appropriate action to be
taken.

Again – here is the text of his suggestion – obviously this needs fleshing out
for the “origami convention specifics” such as not disrupting class, not
touching someone’s model without asking etc.  But at it’s core it is along the
lines of what I was suggesting – work from the assumption that we all KNOW what
is civil vs uncivil behavior and just refer to that.

We have to discuss this more on this end, but we are likely going to end up
with something very closely based on the below.

John

P.S. Again – Thank you Anne.  I had looked around but had not found anything
like this.

Who is covered?

Anyone who is affiliated with this Conference (The “Participant”) is expected
to conduct oneself in a civil manner and treat any other Participant with
respect and civility. (The “Standard of Conduct”). A Participant includes, but
is not limited to any Conference attendee, guest, sponsor, or staff.

What is covered?

The Standard of Conduct is defined by what is deemed to be generally accepted
by the Conference; the conference location (the ”Venue”); the Venue’s own
standards of conduct, rules and regulations; or any legal authority of which
the Venue or Participant is subject. Any other conduct by a Participant that
otherwise disrupts another Participant’s Conference experience shall be covered
as well.

How is this enforced?

Only timely and directly reports of violations with sufficient factual details
to the Conference can be investigated. Upon investigation, allegations may
result in sanctions including, but not limited to expulsion from the Conference
and Venue without recourse. Any report deemed to have not been made in good
faith or with a reasonable factual basis shall be treated as a violation.
Investigations and sanctions imposed shall be conducted and determined in the
sole discretion of the Conference. Nothing in this Standard of Conduct
interferes with or discourages a Participant from exercising his or her right
to contact the Venue and/or law enforcement directly and in such a case; the
Conference shall fully cooperate with the Venue and law enforcement.