We do exactly what you propose. A servlet drives lightweight commands. The
commands get XML trees containing the HttpServletRequest information, and
fill in a subtree with the XML results. This tree is fed into XSLT and the
resulting HTML is sent down the wire. I prefer it over JSP by miles. We
precompile the XSL pages, so we get really good performance. And the
separation of content/presentation could not be better.

tim.