Did you actually try it out or did you just check the prices? If you
spend more than one hour a day writing java, I would say that IDEA is
worth that money, even if it has to come from my own pockets.
Naturally I would always try to get someone else to pay for it, such as
my employer, but that goes for any tool I use at work.

Recently I have done some code review on code coming from someone that
evidently does not use IDEA, at least not any of the recent early access
releases. I would even consider spending money for them to use IDEA for
  the code I receive to improve.

I'd recommend anyone to register for the IDEA early access program, use
IDEA with the EAP license until the real release, and then decide if you
want to spend the money or not. I think most people would gladly pay the
license cost to avoid having to go back to the old tools.

It is also important to note that the license includes 8 months of
future updates to IDEA (one or two major new releases looking back at
the release history to date)

By the way, I'm not related to the IDEA team in any way.

/Fredrik Lindgren