> a conference on Qumran Hebrew held in October 1999 at Ben Gurion
> University, Beer Sheva, during which Qimron, Hurvitz, Blau and others
> addressed your question. a volume of proceedings appeared last year
> published by Brill

that's

Diggers at the well : proceedings of the third International Symposium of
the Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Ben Sira. Studies on the texts of the
desert of Judah ; 36 / ed. by T. Muraoka and J. F. Elwolde, Leiden : E.J.
Brill , 2000

there are two previous volumes:

The Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Ben Sira : proceedings of a symposium
held at Leiden University 11-14 December 1995 / ed. by T. Muraoka and J. F.
Elwolde. - Leiden : E.J. Brill, 1997 (Studies on the texts of the desert of
Judah ; 26)

Takamitsu Muraoka and John Elwolde (eds.), Sirach, Scrolls and Sages.
Proceedings of a Second International Symposium on the Hebrew of the Dead
Sea Scrolls, Ben Sira and the Mishnah, held at Leiden University,15-17
December 1997 (STDJ 33), Leiden: Brill, 1999

Apart from that, here's my limited contribution. I'm not saying it all
touches equally directly on Ross' inquiry -- nor that I agree with all of it
or even have understood all of it :-)

I'm much interested in hearing what others have to add - and thanks, Ross,
for raising the question

regards
Soren, Copenhagen

------------

Abegg, M.C., Jr., 'The Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls', in F.W. Flint and
J.C. Vanderkam (eds.), The Dead Sea Scrolls after Fifty Years. A
Comprehensive Assessment (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1998), pp. 325-58

Margain, J., 'L'hébreu à Qoumrân', in E.-M. Laperrousaz, ed., Qoumrân et les
Manuscrits de la mer Morte. Un cinquantenaire (Paris: Les Éditions du Cerf
1997), pp. 159-73

Morag, S., 'Qumran Hebrew: Some Typological Observations', VT 38 (1988), pp.
148-64

Muraoka, T., 'The Participle in Qumran Hebrew with special Reference to its
Periphrastic Use', in , Sirach, Scrolls and Sages, pp. 188-204

Also an entry by professor Muraoka in the wonderful "Encyclopedia of the
Dead Sea Scrolls", Oxford: OUP 2000, don't have the exact reference here

Naudé, J.A., 'Towards a Typology of Qumran Hebrew', JNWSL 20/2 (1994), pp.
61-78

Qimron, E., 'Observations on the History of Early Hebrew (1000 B.C.E.-200
C.E.) in the Light of the Dead Sea Documents', in D. Dimant and U.
Rappaport, eds., The Dead Sea Scrolls. Forty years of research (Leiden: E.J.
Brill/Jerusalem: Magnes a.o., 1992), pp. 349-61

Schniedewind, William M., 'Qumran Hebrew as an Antilanguage', JBL 118
(1999), pp. 235-52

Smith, Mark, 'Grammatically Speaking: The Participle as a Main Verb of
Clauses (Predicative Participle) in Direct Discourse and NArrative in
pre-Mishnaic Hebrew', in  Sirach, Scrolls and Sages, pp. 278-332
For private reply, e-mail to =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Holst?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>