George Brooks wrote:

> Prof. Gibson writes:
>
> "And if I take the "some say" correctly, this passage also indicates
> > that there was some doubt that the claim itself (about daughters, etc.)
> is in any way reliable."
>
> REPLY:
> The Talmud is FULL of "some say" commentary.  I hardly think
> you are in a position to unwravel the entire Talmud because of the
> nature of the dialogue-approach to discussion.

[snip]

> Prof. Gibson, I know you find it easier to BLOCK my inquiries than
> to help explore them with me.

So should I take your claim that you make above -- i.e. that my
**conjecture** about the import of "some say" is  wrong, and that the
conclusion I note **may** be derived from my premise IF my premise is sound
is therefore invalid -- as a  "blocking" of my inquiry?

In any case, I never made the claim that I was trying to "unwravel (sic) the
entire Talmud. Rather my purpose was far more modest. And that was only to
raise the question of whether, if we accept a particular interpretation of
its introduction, a particular text meant what you thought it meant.

May I note, then, that if you were indeed interested in doing what you
chastise me for supposedly not doing, namely, exploring inquiries, you would
not have stopped with the bare (and unsupported) statement that the Talmud is
full of the use of the phrase "some say" to introduce a reputedly traditional
claims about persons or groups, since the fact that it is used frequently or
not, has little bearing on what the phrase's **meaning function** within the
Talmud was. Rather, you would have explored with me whether my conjecture
about what the Rabbis **were up to** when they used that phrase -- in notable
contrast to their using the one, also found frequently in the Talmud, which
attributes the material being recalled to a **specific** authority (R. Jose,
R. Judah, etc. ) --  had anything going for it.

In other words, the issue at hand is not the frequency of the phrase in the
Talmud, but its **meaning and function**. What leads you to think that the
**meaning and function** of "some say" in the introduction to reputedly
traditional claims about persons or groups is other than what I think it
might me?

Yours,

JG

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

For private reply, e-mail to "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>