> Ian H says:
>
> >>The conversation was about the limit of the sea level
> based on the location of Ein Feshka during the Qumran
> period. I can't see how hypothetical crevices, passes,
> caves, etc., have any bearing on the local topography so as
> to render irrelevant the altitude of Ein Feshka as a
> limiting factor for the height of the sea at the time.
> Perhaps you could explain.<<
>
> I think you missed Rochelle's point. It seemed quite clear
> to me that she was suggesting that earthquake activity, even
> slight, could change the physical features in the mountain
> range above the Dead Sea, thus affecting the amount of
> runoff water to flow into it. I took this to mean that a
> change that diverted more water into the lake than had been
> the case beforehand could raise the water level
> significantly. "Significant" is as little as a few feet. A
> change of just 1 foot can, depending on the slope of the
> terrain, move a coastline many many times that difference in
> feet.

First, I think Ian is right to request some evidence of such a change.
There should be a way to tell by something in the topography
whether such alterations might have taken place, correct?  Second,
since it is specifically the Dead Sea that is being discussed, why not
skip the generalities and focus on "the slope of the terrain" and how
a change of "just 1 foot" would have affected that particular body of
water?

> On the other hand, wasn't the facility at Ein Feshka built
> to take advantage of a mineral spring? If so, its location
> may have nothing to do with coastline location at the time
> it was built.

Except if it was underwater, which I believe is Ian's point.  The fact
that it was built where it was strongly suggests that the water line
was below that point, thus its placement is a fair indicator of how far
up the water line may have come.  If I've misunderstood Ian here,
he can let me know and I'll go back to lurking.

[snip]
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
You know you're a lousy artist when you can't
draw a straight line on an Etch-a-Sketch.

For private reply, e-mail to "Dave Washburn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>