Dave Washburn says:

>>First, I think Ian is right to request some evidence of
such a change.  There should be a way to tell by something
in the topography whether such alterations might have taken
place, correct?  Second, since it is specifically the Dead
Sea that is being discussed, why not skip the generalities
and focus on "the slope of the terrain" and how a change of
"just 1 foot" would have affected that particular body of
water?<<

That is just it, so far no one has said anything about this
sort of thing. If anyone has access to a detailed terrain
map this kind of thing can be determined more precisely.
Certainly someone has done so already, and hopefully someone
here on *this* list knows more about this than has been so
far said. As for evidence for a change in runoff patterns,
you would need to ask some geologists. I believe there would
be some sort of tell-tale signs, although dating them as
precisely as we would like would be a problem.

>>Except if it was underwater, which I believe is Ian's
point.  The fact that it was built where it was strongly
suggests that the water line was below that point, thus its
placement is a fair indicator of how far up the water line
may have come.  If I've misunderstood Ian here, he can let
me know and I'll go back to lurking.<<

Of course it would almost certainly not have been underwater
at the time it was built. The general impression I got was
that the issue was whether the facility was built there
solely because of the location of the waterline, and I
thought that this would only have been part of the reason.

I agree with you, let's see some specifics.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

For private reply, e-mail to "David C. Hindley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>