Thanks a Lot again , So i can use a Regexp string in my Java class
For Example /d matches a numeric and /w matches a alpha numeric
What is it for matching unicode characters . Hope I am underdstandable abt
the question am I asking !!

Thsi is the code I have  and to incorporate a regular expression
I just give the type as parameters to this class
For xmalple to have a regular expression that accepts only word characters
I will have RegExFormatter("\\w") But when i say 'w ' here does it mean
unicode also
or the alpha numeric characters

// jakarta apache imports for the ORO regular expression library
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.Perl5Compiler;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.Perl5Matcher;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.Perl5Substitution;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.Pattern;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.Util;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.MatchResult;
import org.apache.oro.text.regex.MalformedPatternException;

// framework imports
public class RegexFormatter implements Formatter {

    // Possible error codes
    public static final String MATCH_FAILURE_ERROR = "MatchFailure";

    /**
     * <p>Regular expression compiler.  Only one is needed, as it is
stateless
     * factory class.</p>
     */
    protected static final Perl5Compiler compiler = new Perl5Compiler();

    /**
     * <p>Regular expression/pattern associated to this RegexFormatter for
validation
     * purposes.</p>
     */
    protected Pattern regex;

    /**
     * <p>The regular espression pattern that is used for matching for
formatting.
     * The first match group will replace $1 in the output substitution
expression.</p>
     */
    protected Pattern outMatch;

    /**
     * <p>The substitution that will be used for output of the formatted
input.</p>
     */
    protected Perl5Substitution outSubstitution;

    /**
     * <p>Defines whether the substitution will be global.</p>
     */
    protected boolean globalSubstitution;

    /**
     * <p>Creates a new RegexFormatter object with the specified regular
     * expression.</p>
     *
     * @param <code>expression</code> the regular expression used to
validate
     *              Strings with this instance of RegexFormatter.
     * @throws <code>InvalidConfigurationException</code> thrown when a
     *               MalformedPatternException is caught due to an invalid
     *               regular expression String being supplied. Thrown as a
     *               RuntimeException due to the way Format objects are
     *               usually instantiated (statically).
     */
    public RegexFormatter(String expression) {
        try {
            // Compile the regular expression object
            this.regex = RegexFormatter.compiler.compile(expression);
        }
        catch (MalformedPatternException mpe) {
            Logger.error(Logger.PRODUCER_FORMAT, "RegexFormatter::<init>.
Class "
                + "could not be instantiated due to malformed pattern
supplied. "
                + "Pattern: " + expression);
            Logger.error(Logger.PRODUCER_FORMAT, "RegexFormatter::<init>. "
                + "MalformedPatternException is: " + mpe.toString());

            // Rethrow the exception after logging the errors.
            throw new InvalidConfigurationException(
                "RegexFormatter::<init> caught a MalformedPatternException.
",mpe);
        }
    }

    /**
     * <p>Creates a new RegexFormatter object with the specified regular
     * expression.</p>
     *
     * @param <code>expression</code> the regular expression used to
validate
     *              Strings with this instance of RegexFormatter.
     * @param <code>outMatch</code> the regular expression used to match
against
     *              during substitution. The first match group will replace
$1 in
     *              the substitution, the second group will replace $2 and
so on.
     * @param <code>outSubst</code> the output substitution expression. A
'$1' in
     *              this string will be replaced by the first matched group
for data.
     * @param <code>globalSubstitution</code> defines whether the
substitution will
     *              be applied as many times as found or only the first
time.
     * @throws <code>InvalidConfigurationException</code> thrown when a
     *               MalformedPatternException is caught due to an invalid
     *               regular expression String being supplied. Thrown as a
     *               RuntimeException due to the way Format objects are
     *               usually instantiated (statically).
     */
    public RegexFormatter(String expression,String outMatch,String
outSubst,boolean globalSubst) {
        try {
            // Compile the regular expression object
            this.regex = RegexFormatter.compiler.compile(expression);

            // Compile the out match
            this.outMatch = RegexFormatter.compiler.compile(outMatch);

            // Create a substituter with the substitution string
            this.outSubstitution = new Perl5Substitution(outSubst);

            // Define if this substitution will be global
            this.globalSubstitution = globalSubst;
        }
        catch (MalformedPatternException mpe) {
            Logger.error(Logger.PRODUCER_FORMAT, "RegexFormatter::<init>.
Class "
                + "could not be instantiated due to malformed pattern
supplied. "
                + "Pattern: " + expression);
            Logger.error(Logger.PRODUCER_FORMAT, "RegexFormatter::<init>. "
                + "MalformedPatternException is: " + mpe.toString());

            // Rethrow the exception after logging the errors.
            throw new InvalidConfigurationException(
                "RegexFormatter::<init> caught a MalformedPatternException.
",mpe);
        }
    }

    /**
     * <p>Implementation of the abstract parseObject() method from
     * Formatter. Major method of this class. Applies a regular expression
     * to a String to determine if it matches. If a match is found, the
     * matching subsection of the string is returned. If a match is not
found
     * then a ParsingException is thrown.  See class level javadocs for
     * examples of usage.</p>
     *
     * @param <code>input</code> string to be matched
     * @return <code>Object</code> a String containing the matching section
of
     *               the String passed in.
     * @throws <code>ParsingException</code> thrown when the String does not
     *               match the regular expression.
     */
    public Object parseObject(String text) throws ParsingException {
        Perl5Matcher matcher = new Perl5Matcher();

        if ( !matcher.contains(text, this.regex) ) {
            // If the string passed in does not match the regular expression
            // against which it is being validated, throw a
ParsingException.
            // Since this can happen fairly frequently we don't want to do a
lot
            // of expensive concatenation for the message.
            throw new ParsingException(MATCH_FAILURE_ERROR);
        }

        // Returns the section of the string which matched the regex.
        return matcher.getMatch().toString();
    }

    /**
     * <p>Implemented for compatibility with the Formatter class. Return
     * the input without modifiction.</p>
     *
     * @param <code>input</code> an Object which should always be a String.
     * @return <code>String</code> the String passed in initially.
     */
    public String format(Object input) {
        if (this.outMatch == null) {
            return input.toString();
        } else {

            Perl5Matcher matcher = new Perl5Matcher();

            if (matcher.contains(input.toString(), this.outMatch) ) {

                StringBuffer sbuf = new StringBuffer();
                String output =
                    Util.substitute(matcher,
                                    this.outMatch,
                                    this.outSubstitution,
                                    input.toString(),

this.globalSubstitution?Util.SUBSTITUTE_ALL:1);
                return output;
            }
        }
        return null;