Hi Panagiotis

I attach a osgviewer based example of use of multisample

You can switch on/off multisample with the key 'm'

Cheers
David

2007/10/14, Panagiotis Papadakos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi David
>
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, David Callu wrote:
>
> > Hi Panagiotis
> >
> > 2007/10/6, Panagiotis Papadakos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I want to add an option of using multisampling for my app. So I have
> setup
> >> DisplaySettings with setNumMultiSamples(4). The user is able to
> >> enable/disable multisampling as he feels in the app, by
> enabling/disabling
> >>
> >> the GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB in the root stateset. My problem now is that
> >> initially I want to have multisampling disabled, which I can't figure
> out
> >> how to do. I have tried setting GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB OFF in the root
> >> stateset, but this doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?
> >

> > This seem to be the good method.
> > you can try
> >
> > 1) do root->getOrCreateStateSet()->setMode(GLL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB,
> > osg::StateAttribut::OFF | osg::StateAttribut::OVERRIDE)
>
> This is what I've been trying. More specifically
> root->getOrCreateStateSet()->setMode(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB,
> osg::StateAttribute::OFF | osg::StateAttribute::PROTECTED |
>   osg::StateAttribute::OVERRIDE);
>
> after the viewer has been realized.
>
> > 2) I think that number of sample is define when the OpenGL context is
> > created
> >    so recreate a context on each switch of the number os sample you
> want.
> >
> Why should I recreate a context? I think I should be able to
> enable/disable Multisampling with setting the state mode ON/OFF.
>
> > How did you know that multisample is enabling/disabling.
> > Did you look the render ?
> Yep, that is the case. I saw the render.
>
> > Did you do a request to OpenGL about multisample ?
> >

> > David
> >

> > Thanks
> >>          Panagiotis Papadakos

/* -*-c++-*- OpenSceneGraph - Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Robert Osfield
 *
 * This application is open source and may be redistributed and/or modified
 * freely and without restriction, both in commericial and non commericial applications,
 * as long as this copyright notice is maintained.
 *
 * This application is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
*/

#include <osgDB/ReadFile>
#include <osgUtil/Optimizer>
#include <osg/CoordinateSystemNode>
#include <osg/Multisample>

#include <osg/Switch>
#include <osgText/Text>

#include <osgViewer/Viewer>
#include <osgViewer/ViewerEventHandlers>

#include <osgGA/TrackballManipulator>
#include <osgGA/FlightManipulator>
#include <osgGA/DriveManipulator>
#include <osgGA/KeySwitchMatrixManipulator>
#include <osgGA/StateSetManipulator>
#include <osgGA/AnimationPathManipulator>
#include <osgGA/TerrainManipulator>

#include <iostream>

class SwitchMultisampleHandler : public osgGA::GUIEventHandler
{
    public:

        SwitchMultisampleHandler(osg::StateSet * ss) :
            _useMultisample(false), _ss(ss)
        {
            _ss->setAttributeAndModes(new osg::Multisample, osg::StateAttribute::ON);
            _ss->setMode(GL_MULTISAMPLE, osg::StateAttribute::OFF | osg::StateAttribute::OVERRIDE);

        }

        bool handle(const osgGA::GUIEventAdapter &ea, osgGA::GUIActionAdapter &)
        {
            if (ea.getHandled())
                return false;

            switch (ea.getEventType())
            {
                case (osgGA::GUIEventAdapter::KEYUP):
                {
                    if (ea.getKey() == 'm')
                    {
                        if (_useMultisample == false)
                        {
                            _ss->setMode(GL_MULTISAMPLE, osg::StateAttribute::ON | osg::StateAttribute::OVERRIDE);
                            _useMultisample = true;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            _ss->setMode(GL_MULTISAMPLE, osg::StateAttribute::OFF | osg::StateAttribute::OVERRIDE);
                            _useMultisample = false;
                        }

                        return true;
                    }
                    break;
                }
                default:
                    break;
            }
            return false;
        }

    private:

        bool _useMultisample;
        osg::ref_ptr<osg::StateSet> _ss;
};

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    // use an ArgumentParser object to manage the program arguments.
    osg::ArgumentParser arguments(&argc,argv);

    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->setApplicationName(arguments.getApplicationName());
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->setDescription(arguments.getApplicationName()+" is the standard OpenSceneGraph example which loads and visualises 3d models.");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->setCommandLineUsage(arguments.getApplicationName()+" [options] filename ...");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--image <filename>","Load an image and render it on a quad");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--dem <filename>","Load an image/DEM and render it on a HeightField");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("-h or --help","Display command line parameters");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--help-env","Display environmental variables available");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--help-keys","Display keyboard & mouse bindings available");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--help-all","Display all command line, env vars and keyboard & mouse bindings.");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--SingleThreaded","Select SingleThreaded threading model for viewer.");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--CullDrawThreadPerContext","Select CullDrawThreadPerContext threading model for viewer.");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--DrawThreadPerContext","Select DrawThreadPerContext threading model for viewer.");
    arguments.getApplicationUsage()->addCommandLineOption("--CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext","Select CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext threading model for viewer.");

    // if user request help write it out to cout.
    bool helpAll = arguments.read("--help-all");
    unsigned int helpType = ((helpAll || arguments.read("-h") || arguments.read("--help"))? osg::ApplicationUsage::COMMAND_LINE_OPTION : 0 ) |
                            ((helpAll ||  arguments.read("--help-env"))? osg::ApplicationUsage::ENVIRONMENTAL_VARIABLE : 0 ) |
                            ((helpAll ||  arguments.read("--help-keys"))? osg::ApplicationUsage::KEYBOARD_MOUSE_BINDING : 0 );
    if (helpType)
    {
        arguments.getApplicationUsage()->write(std::cout, helpType);
        return 1;
    }

    osgViewer::Viewer viewer(arguments);

    // report any errors if they have occurred when parsing the program arguments.
    if (arguments.errors())
    {
        arguments.writeErrorMessages(std::cout);
        return 1;
    }

    if (arguments.argc()<=1)
    {
        arguments.getApplicationUsage()->write(std::cout,osg::ApplicationUsage::COMMAND_LINE_OPTION);
        return 1;
    }

    // set up the camera manipulators.
    {
        osg::ref_ptr<osgGA::KeySwitchMatrixManipulator> keyswitchManipulator = new osgGA::KeySwitchMatrixManipulator;

        keyswitchManipulator->addMatrixManipulator( '1', "Trackball", new osgGA::TrackballManipulator() );
        keyswitchManipulator->addMatrixManipulator( '2', "Flight", new osgGA::FlightManipulator() );
        keyswitchManipulator->addMatrixManipulator( '3', "Drive", new osgGA::DriveManipulator() );
        keyswitchManipulator->addMatrixManipulator( '4', "Terrain", new osgGA::TerrainManipulator() );

        std::string pathfile;
        char keyForAnimationPath = '5';
        while (arguments.read("-p",pathfile))
        {
            osgGA::AnimationPathManipulator* apm = new osgGA::AnimationPathManipulator(pathfile);
            if (apm || !apm->valid())
            {
                unsigned int num = keyswitchManipulator->getNumMatrixManipulators();
                keyswitchManipulator->addMatrixManipulator( keyForAnimationPath, "Path", apm );
                keyswitchManipulator->selectMatrixManipulator(num);
                ++keyForAnimationPath;
            }
        }

        viewer.setCameraManipulator( keyswitchManipulator.get() );
    }

    // add the state manipulator
    viewer.addEventHandler( new osgGA::StateSetManipulator(viewer.getCamera()->getOrCreateStateSet()) );

    // add the state manipulator
    viewer.addEventHandler( new SwitchMultisampleHandler(viewer.getCamera()->getOrCreateStateSet()) );

    // add the thread model handler
    viewer.addEventHandler(new osgViewer::ThreadingHandler);

    // add the window size toggle handler
    viewer.addEventHandler(new osgViewer::WindowSizeHandler);

    // add the stats handler
    viewer.addEventHandler(new osgViewer::StatsHandler);

    // add the help handler
    viewer.addEventHandler(new osgViewer::HelpHandler(arguments.getApplicationUsage()));

    // add the record camera path handler
    viewer.addEventHandler(new osgViewer::RecordCameraPathHandler);

    // load the data
    osg::ref_ptr<osg::Node> loadedModel = osgDB::readNodeFiles(arguments);
    if (!loadedModel)
    {
        std::cout << arguments.getApplicationName() <<": No data loaded" << std::endl;
        return 1;
    }

    // any option left unread are converted into errors to write out later.
    arguments.reportRemainingOptionsAsUnrecognized();

    // report any errors if they have occurred when parsing the program arguments.
    if (arguments.errors())
    {
        arguments.writeErrorMessages(std::cout);
        return 1;
    }

    // optimize the scene graph, remove redundant nodes and state etc.
    osgUtil::Optimizer optimizer;
    optimizer.optimize(loadedModel.get());

    viewer.setSceneData( loadedModel.get() );

    viewer.realize();

    viewer.run();

}