Hi Emmanuel

I've just compiled your mod, and got the sample running.

> Has someone already noticed that, if you remove the "start page" [you then
> create the _auiNotebook the first time it is requested] and for example add
> a Menu with an "Open..." command to load osg models, then each time you do
> this sequence:
>
> 1) Open an osg file,
> 2) Close the only tab created
> 3) Try to open an other file
>
> ... the application crashes...

I can't reproduce this crash on my machine (VS 2005 SP1), everything
seems to work smoothly.

> Or maybe it's a known issue and that's the very reason why you added the
> "Start page" and prevented its detruction ?

No, the only reason I did this in the first place is because we would
have no way to spawn the startup page if we closed it - thus we would
not be able to add anymore tabs.
Also, it was a good way to check that we could add any window type as
a tab - not only osg canvas.

> I can't say if the problem comes from OSG or wxWidgets: sometimes I have a
> crash on osgViewer::View constructor but the debug version doesn't display
> anything useful, and sometines I have the bug in other dlls like ntdll for
> example... if it comes from wxWidgets, maybe that's the reason why you are
> using version 2.9 (I built the application with the version 2.8.4, and in
> non-unicode... so if you when to test this you may have to make small
> changed in the code I added [every thing is in MainFrame.cpp in fact])

I'd bet the problem is a CRT issue. The bugs in wxAUI I had in the
past were always triggered inside wxWidgets when you would remove a
tab, it does not seem to be the case here.
Have you made sure you used the multithreaded DLL everywhere ? (osg
does this by default, wxWidgets needs to be compiled in DLL [Unicode]
mode), and your app must use the multithreaded DLL.
Also make sure you use the correct preprocessor macros (WXUSINGDLL and such).

Bugs that occur at various places are hard to track. One thing you can
do is regularly check the heap to see if a corruption occurs at some
point by using the _heapchk() function. If something goes wrong you
can be notified before the crash occurs (at a random place because the
memory layout changes from execution to execution).

Finally, try to switch to VS 2005 as the compiler (and the C++
runtime) contains much less bugs than VS 7.x series.

Cheers

Thibault