Hello René,

> If it is possible to use Visual Studio Express Edition and command line
> build, let me know, as far as I know the command line files are not in the
> express edition.

It is definitely possible, that's what I use at home. They just renamed
devenv.exe to vcexpress.exe, but the command line options are still
available.

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7.aspx

The main command line option for you is /Build of course. :-) You can
specify to build the INSTALL target, which will do the right thing. Be
sure to run the vcvarsall.bat script beforehand so it will set up your
environment correctly (but you know that, you're using nmake! :-)

> I also use nmake, because it triggers cmake before building, if this happens
> in visual studio you will have to reopen all you projects (the project has
> been changed from outside...). This makes testing cmake scripts more time
> consuming.

If you have nothing else modifying your project files, they will not
need to be reloaded, so it's no problem... Plus, if you run the build
from the command line as above, you shouldn't have that problem, it
should work fine.

> (if someone knows how to avoid closing/opening visual studio or reloading the
> projects one by one let me know).

That annoys me too, but it isn't very often that I tweak the CMake
config files, so I don't mind that much.

> I have used this build system with osg for over two years now, it worked
> perfectly until the current cmake hack (adding"../../bin" to move files) was
> created. I think a better (cmake) solution is possible.

I don't know, I seem to recall that was a workaround for some other
problem, though I can't remember which one. Maybe if you search the
archives for "../../bin" you would find that discussion. I think Luigi
Calori was the one who did that modification for versioning the DLL
files, so that might help your search as well.

Thanks,

J-S