The transforms might slow down the CullVisitor.

Please post the model as a .osg file. Are you running the osgUtil::Optimizer
in your app on the loaded model?

Please take osgviewer timings again, but first disable the Optimizer with
OSG_OPTIMIZER=OFF. It would be interesting to see if this allows you to
reproduce the performance hit in osgviewer.

(My theory is the Transforms are causing the performance hit. Osgviewer
optimizes them away because they're marked STATIC, but your app does not, so
you have the performance hit in your app but not in osgviewer.)
   -Paul