Robert,

Exactly: it is quite possible for different WKT strings to represent the
same CS -- I don't think there is a canonical WKT representation per se. I
have the same challenge in osgGIS.

ECW=>GeoTIFF would work but ... unfortunately most of my ECW's are just
plain large -- in one case I have 0.15m imagery covering 4000 sq kms.

If you do have the time, I have uploaded a sample dataset that demonstrates
the issue. There is a small ECW and a corresponding DEM (GeoTIFF). They are
both WGS84. The build command line is included:

  http://pelicanmapping.com/downloads/ecw-sample.zip

FWTools contains a pre-built GDAL library with ECW support included:

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Thanks again for your continued great work! I am especially appreciative of
the upgrades to DatabasePager and look forward to test-driving this soon.

Glenn