Hi Neil,

When you start to deal with really large datasets that paging and culling
are tools that you'll need to use effectively, you'll need to understand
load balancing of the system.  Primarily what you'll be doing is building an
appropriate database rather than optimizing at the code level, to do this
you'll need to understand the code and the hardware of course.

Don't expect to find a silver bullet for this work, items like using
occlusion culling is just another tool in your toolbox, instead you need to
gather lots of tools in the toolbox, understand them and how to build a
database that uses them efficiently.

Robert.