Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> PagedLOD is what you need to use to balance the load for really large
> databases.  You databases are likely to huge though, gigabytes rather
> than terrabytes, and the OSG' paging system allows you to scale to
> terrabyte database pretty comfortably so you'll do just fine is you
> manage the scene structure well.  Doing it well is not a trivial task
> though so expect to be effort in learning about the issues and time
> experimenting with different scene graph structures.
>
> You might also want to use some high level cull callbacks that cull
> subgraphs based on which room floor you are as this way you can get
> more effective culling.  You can enclose each region with its own
> bounding mesh - see osgSim::VisibilityGroup for this type of
> culling.   One thing you want to be careful about is tricks like
> relaxing such culling to allow the pager to start bringing in the new
> floor level prior to it becoming visible.

Hi, Neil,

Not sure if this is appropriate for your case or not, but when I had to
model an office with several rows of cubicles, and then run it on a
wearable computer, I found the osg::OccluderNode to be a great way to
bring the frame rate up.  The cubicle walls made obvious, natural
occluders for all of the complex furniture models inside them, so I only
ever had to draw the few pieces of furniture that were potentially
visible.  In your case, you've also got actual floor-to-ceiling walls
that would make even better occluders.

One potential problem is that I'm not sure how well they scale.  My
environment was just a section of a building that had an open plan,
while yours seems a bit larger.  There's a tradeoff between the number
of occluders in the scene and the potential performance gains, so you
can't have too many occluders active at once.  However, if you combine
this with the PagedLOD's and a higher-level culling scheme, you might
come up with something that both fits in memory and runs pretty quickly.

--"J"