Hi Vincent

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Vincent Bourdier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi thibault
>
> I just have tried with the microsoft compiler. I still have some memory
> leaks, but the ouput is unreadable :
>
> [...]
> {431278} normal block at 0x12194A50, 108 bytes long.
>  Data: < {\             > FC 7B 5C 10 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> {431277} normal block at 0x12194A08, 12 bytes long.
>  Data: <U O T P S R > 55 03 4F 03 54 03 50 03 53 03 52 03
> [...]

This is quite expected, unless you leak a memory block containing a
string. Anyway, the valuable information here is:
- the allocation number of the block (here, 431278 and 431277)
- the length (108 bytes and 12 bytes)

To chase the bug, you need to find the lowest allocation number that
results in a leak, since further allocations might be done by the
object that is leaking and fixing the first leak may fix others -
maybe all if you are lucky :)

Once you have this, you need to re-run your program a few times to see
if this allocation number changes. If it does, you are in trouble (see
below). If it does not, then what you need to do is to call
_CrtSetBreakAlloc(<your allocation number>);
at the beginning of the program and run it under the debugger. When
the allocation number is hit, you get a popup from the debugger and
you are pointed to the exact instruction that triggers the allocation.
With this information you can hopefully find why the memory block is
never freed.

If the allocation number changes from run to run, it means that there
is some kind of random process bothering you. This typically happens
in GUIs as the user moves the mouse pointer, triggering events that
allocate memory and it is impossible to recreate the exact same order
of allocations between two runs. Facing this kind of horror, two
techniques can help you:
- try to reduce the program by removing all interactions and any other
source of randomness until the leaking allocation number does not
change between runs
- track the allocation size with a hook. Let me explain this further:

You can place a hook (i.e. callback) for each allocation with the
function _CrtSetAllocHook():

First, our callback:
int MyAllocHook( int allocType, void *userData, size_t size, int
                                blockType, long requestNumber, const unsigned
char *filename, int
                                lineNumber)
{
        // This is called upon each allocation. Return TRUE to allow
the allocation, FALSE to make it fail
        return TRUE;
}

and then at the beginning of the program:
_CrtSetAllocHook(MyAllocHook)

Now your hook is called for each allocation. To find the mysterious
allocation that leaks, try to find a range of numbers (e.g. the first
block that leaks is almost always in 431000..431300) and use the
allocation size in an if test such as:

if (size == <the size of your block> && requestNumber >= 431000 &&
requestNumber <= 431300)
  int dummy = 0;

Place a breakpoint on the "int dummy=0" line. It will hopefully be hit
once during  the faulty allocation. If it is hit more than once, try
to narrow the allocation range as much as you can.

You can as well use the hook instead of the _CrtSetBreakAlloc() call
since you are given the allocation number in it.

Hope this helps

Thibault