HiMike,
First of all you should analyze the bottleneck in your application,
osgViewer::StatsHandler will give you the time spent in each traversal.
>From the problem you are facing it seems you are draw limited(rendering
a lot number of triangles).  One option will be to create LOD(level of
detail) node for each sphere, in that case  the amount of geometry
rendered will be  less and hence you will have  high performance  :)
best regards
RJ