I have an OSG application where I am using osg::Shapedrawable(new osg::Sphere(...)) to represent errors ellipsoids (all have various sizes and locations) for targets on a terrain. Prior to their introduction into the scene, I am getting around 40 frames per second. After introducing 1000 of them, my frame rate goes down to 4-5 frames per second. I am using osg::Optimizer on my root node. Exactly how many polygons are drawn by default for osg::Sphere? Is there a way to reduce this? Is there a better way to draw thousands of these (noting that I have to apply a Position/Attitude/Size transform to each one)? I am using a Nvidia Quadro FX 570 in an Intel 3.0Ghz Duo Core processor runing Windows XP Pro.

My viewer is set up in an overhead view, so I see them all every frame (i.e., I don't think culling will help here). And also, their PATs have to occassionally be updated (i.e., not static size, orientation, position).

Mike Greene