Thanks Paul,

Yes, I found the code in osgPlugins/osg, and don't worry I don't
intend on building a large codebase. This is just a hack for now. My
intention is to use the osgswig Python wrappers to access OSG more
"directly". But for now I'm content to fiddle with .osg files in order
to understand the various primitives and how they work. In my case the
overhead of doing this is lower than coding things in C/C++; in fact
making the .osg files from Python's actually not that onerous a task
for the relatively simple stuff I want to do in the short term.

-Pat