HI Matthew,

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Matthew Fuesz <matthew.fu...@lmco.com> wrote:
> As to the more general discussion, it is very apparent that we will never
> agree on anything in this matter, as we have *drastically* different views of
> what constitutes the most "readable" code.

I'm happy about different people having different personal perefrences
in coding,  what I do have a serious problem is in uncompromising
phrases from yourself that paint things in black and white.  This
suggests to me that perhaps you have fully considered the consequences
of what you advocate and makes others heading your advice dangerous.

Consider the code example I provided, if we can contributor heading
your advice and then trying to fix these warnings they'd really
struggle to refactor quite a few parts of the OSG without compromising
readability and maintainability, and in the process of refactoring
likely introducing new bugs.  The strength of my opinion is based on
real code, no on trivial little examples - I'm the one who's actually
done the code review on the parts of the OSG affected by this warning
I'm the one knows exactly what the consequence of your suggested
changes are, so I know first just how badly they would affect some
parts of the OSG that are working perfectly, with clean code and no
ambiguity.  I did the code review *yesterday*, it fresh in my mind,
with clear illustrations of problems with your black and white
attitude towards this topic.

Warning fixes is a double edged sword.  One can't make sweeping
generalizations about using or not using different languages features,
or using them in particular ways.  Coding is engineering, it's takes a
lot of consideration to balance of different issues that come to best
overall result in code quality.  One has to both see the wood from the
tree, and tree from the wood, these black and white assertions are
dangerous because they focus in one only one particular aspect, only
the wood, the wider context is lost or ignored.  The wider context is
the algorithm and the surrounding code.  This is why I'm bothering to
rebut your suggestions, I don't wont' others to fall into the same
trap.