Hi Paul,

On 1/21/09, Paul Melis <p...@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> An off-topic remark: some of the changes for the 2.8 release have to do
> with packaging using CPack. It seems that so far OSG hasn't really
> supported installing different versions side-by-side (i.e. headers not
> put in a directory like include/osg-2.6/...). And even though a
> pkgconfig script is distributed these days it doesn't know anything
> about versions. Is this something that's on the list of future work for
> packaging, does CPack automatically support this kind of versioning?

No. The cpack support builds packages based on what we put in the
DESTINATION argument to the cmake command INSTALL which is (for
headers) "include". I don't see a problem in making this an optional
feature provided that enough osg users wants it. I guess that libs
would still go to "/lib"?

The packages built currently has a top folder named
OpenSceneGraph-2.x.y and there is no installer type function supplied
so you'll need to manually move the header and lib dirs if you want
them in a "normal" place like /usr/local. The primary goal and (in my
opinion) strength of the cpack support is that any osg builder have
the packaging capability at their hands, hopefully leading to more
uploads of binary packages for future releases.

Mattias