Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Why would perfectly good programming practices be avoided just because
> they cause false positives in one tool, on one platform? This is
> pretty much the same discussion as the one concerning warnings I had
> with Robert last week.
>
> The code should be a by-product of the design (with small allowances
> for language differences, of course). If the design is sound, but some
> tool prevents you from implementing that design in code, you should
> change tools, not the other way around... I personally find OSG's
> design very good, and it's one of the reasons I use it.
I don't think anybody has questioned the design of OSG. If anything, I
would characterize what has been discussed recently as an extension of
the design. The ability to easily halt / unload OSG from a running
process might be useful for more than one reason.

I also agree with you that making code concessions to accommodate tools
is unfortunate, but it happens all the time. Unless you are using Comeau
or EDG's C++ compiler, your compiler probably doesn't support the
complete C++ standard. If, for example, OSG were to start using the
export keyword would you change tools, or discuss altering the code that
limits your choice of tools? (ok, it's a weak example but I hope you
could understand what I was trying to say...)

For me, I think it really comes down to "put up or shut up". This is
open source that I haven't been asked to pay for and I would never think
of rudely telling Robert and the other primary developers how it should
be. On the other hand, I'd like to know if code that explicitly unloads
OSG would ever be accepted into the repository. I'm getting the sense
that it would be if it were sufficiently transparent, simple and
inexpensive.
> In the case of osg::Referenced memory leaks, I've posted with a few
> useful techniques, and Adrian Egli and others have too.
Thank you for this. It's very helpful. Because of this support, I can
probably deal with the situation.
> (btw, has anyone compiled valgrind for Windows?)
valgrind is Linux only.

-cory