Re #1: Your whole-earth database is in geocentric (earth-centered XYZ)
coordinates. In the class osg::EllipsoidModel (in osg/CoordinateSystemNode)
there are functions to convert from lat/long to geocentric and back. You can
these to calcuate the XYZ at which to place your model. Then use the XYZ to
create an osg/MatrixTransform, and put your model node under it.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791