2009/3/24 Philip Lowman <phi...@yhbt.com>

> 2009/3/24 Glenn Waldron <gwald...@gmail.com>
>
>> I have a customer who is trying to use OSG to access data through a PAC
>> proxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config). CURL does not
>> support this directly, and the sense I get from the CURL community is that
>> they don't plan to.
>>
>> Does it make sense to add PAC proxy support to the OSG CURL plugin? Yes,
>> you could deal with PAC at the application level and set the CURL proxy
>> based on the results ... this is what the CURL folks advocate ... the
>> trade-off though is that sample apps like osgviewer will not be able to work
>> in a PAC proxy environment.
>>
>> Just looking to get some opinions on the matter.
>

> PAC requires javascript right?  You could make it so the curl plugin
> optionally depends upon a javascript engine and if it's there it solves for
> the proper proxy to use.

That would be the idea, yes. In particular I was looking at pacparser (
http://code.google.com/p/pacparser) which I believe uses spidermonkey for
JS.

> Ultimately though it's far easier just to have a human being read the PAC
> file and say thou shalt export http_proxy="http://foo.internal.com:8080";
> prior to running the OSG.

Don't know about all that ... never underestimate an IT department's ability
to deploy an overly-complex proxy and firewall setup :) But seriously, PAC
is a fact of life in some big corporate environments and does justify the
need for an app that "just works" with it out of the box.