Hi Paul,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:

>  Interesting... Neither osgdem nor vpbmaster show a "--pot" command line
> option in their help output, but neither of them complain if "--pot" is
> present on their command lines. The cache file output from osgdem doesn't
> appear to be different with or without "--pot", which makes me think this
> must be a vpbmaster option.

The non power of two support is pretty new.  I've just checked the build
options and it's set to round to a power of two by default - which is how it
originally worked.  This is for controlling whether the output imagery is
clamped to a power of two, Using -npot enables the use of non power of two
output imagery.

> Just to be safe, I put "--pot" on both the osgdem and vpbmaster command
> lines, and I still get the same results. So this isn't the cause of the
> issue. Any other suggestions?

Given that --pot is default then it's unlikely to make a difference, and
suggest that this isn't the issue at hand.

> Robert, I'm not specifying the "--compressed" option when I build the DB,
> so I don't think I need support for compressed NPOT textures. (I'm assuming
> compression is off by default, as there doesn't appear to be a
> "--no-compression" option.)

compression is on by default as the results in the best paging performance.
Trying using --RGB to select convetional rgb output.

> JS -- This is a MacPro with GeForce 8800. It supports
> GL_ARB_non_power_of_two.
>
> Nonetheless, there is something about the MacPro/GF8800 that is causing the
> issue at build time: When I view the DB built on the Mac on either my
> Windows or Mac system, the issue is present. When I build the same DB using
> the same source data on Windows, the issue is not present.

This may well be down to a driver bug.  I vaguely remember issues about read
back of texture objects being faulty under OSX so perhaps this is the the
problem.

>  (Ideally I'd like to use my Mac; building VPB DBs is one of the main
> reasons I bought this system. It builds the DB some 20x faster than my old
> clunker Windows system.)

Not using Windows for thread and file system intensive work is sensible for
sure.  But...  NVidia drivers under OSX are a bit flaky, it seems that
NVidia OSX drivers have about the same quality as ATI drivers under Windows
+ Linux.

Try dual booting the machine to linux, at least then you'll know you can
select a decent filesystem and graphics drivers.