From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Robert
Osfield
Sent: venerdì 24 aprile 2009 11.02
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] update of zNear and zFar during drawing

HI Gianluca,

Arggghhg... You can't use orthographic projects in the same way that
you use perspective projections, it simply doesn't work.

Use orthographic projections for external views of the scene where
clipping is not used.  Do *not* use it for internal views where
clipping is critical.  Try to do this on and you'll just waste lots of
your time and lots of the communities time trying to explain to you
why it won't work.

Robert.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Gianluca Natale
<gianluca.nat...@adstorino.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a strange behavior when I let OSG update the near and far clipping
> planes during drawing.
> When I use a perspective projection, and I move the camera inside the
model
> (I mean, inside the global
>
> bounding sphere of the model), the near clipping plane is placed very near
> to the camera, so to clip
>
> as few objects as possible. I like this behavior, and I would like to use
it
> also for Orthogonal projections.
> But in that case, when I move the camera into the model, the near clipping
> plane becomes negative,
> so the viewing volume includes always the whole model. And I don’t like
this
> now.
>
> Is this the right behavior, or did I miss something/make some mistake?
> If this is the way it works for orthogonal projections, is there a way to
> make it work like perspective one?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gianluca Natale

19:21:00