I need to align two data sets in OSG by fitting a small number of key points
and calculating the translation/rotation matrices.

Normally this is done with a Helmert transform, that defines 7 parameters (xyz
translate, xyz rotate, linear scale) to convert between map coordinates.
GDAL seems to use Affine transforms instead - it has routine to apply
transforms but I can't find anything to calculate them.

First has anyone else already done this?
Second - since it's going to involve pulling in a lot of Least-Squares/SVD or
other solver code is there a preferred numerical library?

Martin