Hi Robert,

I'm not familiar with the Collada format itself, rather I have always
just been a maintainer of the OSG that relies on others for
development and support of the Collada plugin, but I do wonder just
how much value we get from using the DOM rather than rolling our own
xml parsing.

Yeah, well now that you've committed an XML reader into osgDB for Present3d, this should be less of a pain that it would have been before I guess... :-)

I imagine the hardest part would be to make sure it conforms to the spec. Getting basic reading shouldn't be that hard. Though I'll let others more familiar with it comment on this.

It would be a great new feature though, as the constant build problems with the dependencies have always been what's kept me away from building the COLLADA plugin, for one. I'm sure I'm not the only one. It would be great to have this format "for free" (without any external dependencies) because I expect it would be a good interchange format between modeling tools and OSG. If animation could work too with osgAnimation that would be excellent.

Here's to hoping,

J-S