Martin Beckett wrote:
rosme wrote:
If so, how to organize things better to be prepared for a much larger user
community?

One option is to split general up into more sub-topics (Beginners, c++, OpenGL,
Geometry, Files etc) then people can direct their interest/expertise to
answering those questions.

Of course it doesn't guarantee people will post in the appropriate forum (and
not cross post) but it's a possibility.

Martin

The problem I see with this is that it doesn't really work unless Robert and the other experts are ignoring certain groups. Otherwise, reading e-mail in five lists all the time is slightly more painful than reading from one but basically no different.

And if that's the case, it only takes a little while before people sort out the expert lists from the non-expert and start posting every question there instead. The people who don't figure that out aren't going to notice which list they should be posting to anyway and will just pick a random one. We've all seen it happen. "Oh, I thought since I was using OpenGL in C++ that I should post to the C++ group..." Or "I didn't post to the beginner group because I wanted experts to answer it."

We could probably short-circuit a lot just be splitting into two groups and calling one "experts" and the other "beginners"... and no one would have to bother joining the second one. ;)

The forums and mailing lists that have lots of users and low noise are heavily moderated.

-Paul