Hi,
Christian Buchner schrieb:

> My boss was running my 3D engineering app on a 32 inch touch screen
> (no multi-touch yet, I suppose) and he liked how he was able to rotate
> the camera with a fingertip.
>
> That gave me an idea - are there any affordable Multi-touch LCD
> screens (standalone)

There are some solutions for two-point multitouch, for more tracked
points there are some solutions on the horizon, but IMHO not available
yet. Most multitouch solutions use back-projection and capturing the
field of input with a infrared-camera with the help of infrared-laser,
-leds.

> and how difficult would it be to add Multitouch
> capabilities to OSG? In particular I was wondering what it would take
> to support Multi-Touch capabilities in the various Camera manipulators
> -  and how to get the "special" input events from various operating
> systems (Mac, Windows, Linux).

There's an opensoruce protocol called tuio which sends a stream of
events via UDP to a host. So you can change tracking solutions without
changing your source.

> In particular zooming with two fingers would be extremely cool ("the
> pinch" gesture) , and grabbing an object with two fingers, rotating it
> (or the camera around it) in the 3D view according to how the two
> fingers move.

There's no infrastructure in osg yet, but you can easily adapt some of
the matrixmanipulators and add multitouch--support.

here you'll find some links: http://delicious.com/sth/Multitouch

Hope that helps,

Stephan