Hi Rabbi,

We are currently developing a plugin for Maya. So far it supports basic geometry, texture, bump map, lod, instancing and animation, including keyframe animation and character/skeleton animation. Particle system will be added soon.

Nice, we'd definitely be interested as now our pipeline goes from Maya to Creator to OSG so if we can eliminate one step it would streamline our process.

This implementation is publicly funded so it doesn't have problem of being opensource. Current implementation consists of two parts. Part one is a Maya plugin which export Maya data into a intermediate binary format (images files for texture are embedded in the intermediate format). Part two is a reader to be written as an OSG plugin for the intermediate binary format in OSG.

I'm curious, why don't you just make your Maya plugin link with the OSG libraries, build your Maya scene's structure in an OSG scene graph and then save that as a .osg or .ive file? Why invent an intermediate binary format and have to make an OSG plugin to load that format?

I know everyone is using COLLADA so I just wonder if anyone would be interested.

Not everyone :-)

We don't use it because the plugin doesn't support animation and it's kind of a moving target (and also because of the dependencies).

J-S