I have realised that it works fine if i select release build in VS 2005. So I
guess my problem technically must lie in the fact that I cannot get the debug
binaries to work:

openscenegraph-all-2.8.0-win32-x86-vc80sp1-Debug.tar.gz

I uncompressed these in exactly the same way that I have the release binaries.
But when running any of the debug executables I get an error:

C:\OpenSceneGraph\bin\osg2cppd.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is
incorrect...

My first inclination is that the dependant .dll's are not found. But the debug
versions of all dependancies are in the same location as the release versions.
So I do not know why the release versions work but the debug ones do not.

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot get the debug versions to work.

I used this tutorial to attempt to install OSG:

http://dwightdesign.com/2009/05/installing-openscenegraph-280/