2009/11/7 Jan Ciger <jan.ci...@gmail.com>:
> Simon Hammett <s.d.hamm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I've gotten good results with exporting blender -> .lwo as long as you
>> split your model meshes up the right way, so you can run the smoothing
>>  visitor on it.
>
> Why? There is osg exporter too. Works fine:
> http://projects.blender.org/projects/osgexport/

Well .lwo was the first format I found that worked and it's binary so
the models load quickly.
The apps I work on, load lots of stuff outta dbs, run third party dlls
& black boxes etc
on start up, so they are already irritatingly slow to start up.

There's also the problem with setting up new machines to run a project;
It takes ages to join the code co-op projects, install boost & other libraries,
black boxes, etc, etc. Adding another step of installing blender and
then getting
the export script as well just makes things take longer.

>> It would be nice if osg could load directly out of .blend files, but the
>>  code in blender that deals with the file format is huge.
>>
>> Maybe somebody who is particularly bored could have a go at
>> refactoring the .blend
>> code into a separate library.
>
> Again, this exists already, even though you probably do not want to do it. The
> .blend files are more containers of a lot of different things than a
> scenegraph-
> like structure and the mapping will be tricky. The library is called
> "readblend" and comes with the Bullet physics engine.

Nice, thanks for the info, I'll look in to that.

I'd prefer to load models directly out of the .blend file,
it would save mucking about with exporting.

--
http://www.ssTk.co.uk