Hartwig,

By "coordinate systems" do you mean different spatial reference systems
(SRS), e.g. UTM vs. mercator? If so, then the answer is probably no - there
isn't a good way to do this at run time for arbitrary SRS pairs. Not only is
the math CPU-intensive, but the two SRS's may have different domains that
make consistent transformation impossible.

The best approach is really to store the database in each SRS, and just
convert between individual coordinates at run time (like for picking or
object placement, for example). You said you can't do that because the
amount of data is too large ... can you elaborate? Too large to fit on disk?
In memory?

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791