HI Guy,

You can't mix display lists with CPU updated dynamic data, and
particle systems are an example of this.

If you come up with a custom scheme for particles then there are ways
to use static geometry and update the positions in the vertex shaders,
and the osgParticle::PrecipitationEffect is an example of this.
PrecipitionEffect doesn't use any of the standard osgParticle features
though, it's a standalone class, as it's very domain specific.

Robert.