Kim,

This is to some extent what already happens with the mipmapping LOD that
osgOcean currently uses.

The problem is that the multi-res surface is dependant on the position of
the camera and not on local features. The code to recompute the surface
primitives is already pretty complicated, to do it based on both camera
position and local features would be a nightmare (if at all possible).

One way to address this would be to increase the resolution of the highest
level of detail and only apply the iwave algorithm to tiles in close
proximity to the camera.

K.