Hi Luc,

I had problems like you, but I managed to discover a setup which works without
problems, and renders large databases.

At first: Are you really really sure you want to use windows?
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a linux-geek, I use myself windows for nearly
everything, but VPB is one of the things which are running much faster on linux.

I do not know why windows is slow an fails after some hours or days, but it
seems to be related with NTFS, because rendering under linux with a NTFS
partition is still slow and unstable - so only use native linux filesystems
like ext3 or ext4.

To reduce your rendering time, use a cluster with vpbmaster and use a 64 bit
system (32 bit kubuntu fails in my during creating all the taskfiles - maybe
running out of handles or things like that. In 64 bit, it works.)

and now, if your process still fails after some days, just resume your compile
process (only available in 2.9.6 and newest vpb)
See also http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/VirtualPlanetBuilder/wiki/Resume

Now, if you have lots of CPUs and RAM, but your HHD is your bottleneck:
Compress your textures lossless. This will shift your system load a little bit
from HHD input to CPU, because your loaded sources are smaller but have to be
decompressed in memory.
In my case, the database rendering became much faster!

If you have any questions, contact me.

Greetz,

Torben