Hi Chris,

If all you're after is a square area of sea I don't see any problems with
using osgOcean for this. Just disable the endless ocean parameter on the
ocean scene and the surface will stay in one place. As you say the only
difficultly might be getting the scales of the ocean to look correct with
the scale of the terrain, but that's something you'll have to have a play
with.

If the ocean is intersecting with terrain you might like to play with the
breaking waves functionality that was added to the trunk a little while ago.
It seems to work best where gradient of the terrain coming out of the water
is quite smooth. If this is the case in your application I
would recommend it as it really helps to blend the ocean with the terrain.

Regards,

Kim.