Hi Rick,

The way that OpenGL drivers work is that there is an OpenGL FIFO per
graphics context, your application fills the FIFO with data and OpenGL
tokens, and then the driver sucks the tail of the FIFO in batches and
fires it off GPU.  This fifo decouples the application thread from the
GPU, so in effect the CPU and the GPU can largely work in a parallel.

However, if OpenGL FIFO fills up because the rate at which you are
pushing data into it exceeds the rate at which it's been emptied then
the application thread will stall and the draw dispatch times will go
up.  Sometimes you can see some rather no linear draw dispatch times
due to small changes in load on the GPU suddenly causing the app to
stall.  Even when this happens there is still a bit of leeway before
you start dropping frames.

Another reason for seeing large draw dispatch times is the presence of
OpenGL operations that require getting data back from OpenGL (such
glGet or glReadPixels), because this forces OpenGL to push all the
data ahead of it down to the GPU, read back the result and then
finally get this back to application thread.  This roundtrip is very
expensive and should be avoided where possible.

Robert.