From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Robert
Osfield
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:28 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] Plugin to Node Kit?

Hi Brad,

The plugins are designed to be entirely encapsulated within themselves
and not to export any symbols, save for any C function entry points
for enabling static linking of plugins.  This decoupled approach does
mean that you don't have any public interface to access internals
classes/methods.  In general this isn't an issue though.

What specifically about the DirectShowTexture header do you need
access to?  It may be that you do what you want within any specific
access to it.  Keeping a loose coupling is generally the best
programming approach as it enables you to change you backend
implementation easily - such as if you needed to support a new
platform.

Robert.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Brad Huber <br...@procerusuav.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am curious what the path is for a osg plugin to become a node kit (or
> portions of it).  Does anyone have some information / insight?
>

> The reason that I ask is that I’m trying to use the Directshow texture
class
> that is currently in the osg directshow plugin.  I do not believe a plugin
> is sufficient for what I’m trying to do because I want to work directly
with
> the low-level directshow graph. As I understand, this is something that
> cannot be easily done via the file based plugin architecture.  For example
> want to instantiate a rather complex graph (programmatically from a GUI)
and